Monday, May 26, 2008

UB fragments

it has almost been two years since i started working for ICT as a part-time agent. a lot of things happened within my employment-- most of which are good. however, with the company's attitude of sending agents across its sites, trying to utilize a rather wise strategy, but so oblivious to the fact that the game plan is gradually deteriorating the company itself, one third of my stay with ICT has become nothing more than a painful extinction.

ironically, being in the call center industry did not make me any richer.

at around 8 p.m., i finally went back to Unionbank Plaza (UB, as what we fondly call it), to pass a letter of intent, stating my request to be accommodated in Ortigas once more. i was really having a hard time following my schedule in Marikina, that it has affected me in a lot of ways, especially in terms of money.

earlier, as i reached the rear side of Megamall, which i promised myself to avoid until they bring me back to UB, i started to literally walk down the memory lane.

i remembered the time when i was desperately in need of a job. it was the second semester of my second year in college, and for someone who has just turned 18 then, claiming the responsibility of looking for whatever means to pursue my studies was gargantuan.

it was clear as crystal, the day i submitted my resume, and was told by an interviewer, who happened to have the same fate as mine when she was in college, to wait until an account would be willing to accommodate part-time agents. after a week, i returned to ask for an update, got an affirmative response from the same person, underwent a series of interviews and examinations, and got hired the same day. i could probably mark that as one of my luckiest days.

on my way to UB, bittersweet memories came swiftly like vibrant snapshots, as the smell of Julia Vargas Ave. burned in my nostrils. (o, 'wag ka nang sumagot. di sunog ilong ko. metaphor lang yan.)

i saw the pavement across the parking area, where i dived after trying to execute my limbo rock skills under a warning strip, in an effort to catch up at the 7 p.m. orientation. people were so amazed of my exhibition, that i heard gasps and giggles around me. i still cannot figure out how i got a coin-sized wound on my knee, without having a single hole in my perfectly-fitted slacks. i suppose you can surmise what happened as it started drying up and sticking to my pants during the orientation.

McDonald's (Julia Vargas) made me stare at a nearby bar, where my former account, Capital One, celebrated its 2006 Christmas party.

Emerald Avenue reminded me of our 3 or 4 a.m. lunch (if you can still call it as such) at Jollibee, KFC, or Greenwich, wherein i was always being stared at because i was usually wearing my uniform, after taking a quick shower at the 12th floor, getting ready for my 7 a.m. class.

the appetizing smell of the poorly-ventilated Erap Strata foodcourt is nostalgic, as it brings back our fishball-and-gulaman food trip memories.



not much has changed in UB, except for new faces and new guards... swarm of people came in and out.. still, i failed to see whom i expected.

i just hope i would be able to work in ICT Ortigas again.

No comments: