Thursday, April 03, 2008

lugaw shortage

however Gloria Arroyo says that the country would not suffer rice shortage, still, the expected increase in its prices is enough for us to feel the crisis.

i woke up early this morning and found myself in dire need of congee (lugaw), an addiction i rediscovered these past few days. to alleviate my stomach's pain, i reeled off to the nearest Chowking food chain. it has been my habit to walk briskly to the market, especially when i need to cash-out on ATMs. i'd rather spend my precious coins for three sticks of... you know... than ride a jeepney. it's a good exercise, too. (yes, life works in irony. :p) so i did the same thing this time and it was after a 30-minute walk that, with my legs trembling, i finally reached the counter, waited for the person who came before me to finish, and gave nothing but a bitter nod when the lady told me, "Sorry, ma'am. Hindi po available ang congee ngayon." wow! what a grace!

it isn't even the 28th of the month. why am i in disgrace?! (for those who do not know, 28 is an unfortunate day for me)

i never stopped slipping through the holes of Kalentong market, asking if any eatery served a warm bowl of congee but as expected, NADA!

while walking back home, i was thinking of anything to ease my anger and to feel less unfortunate. why is there a shortage of "lugaw"? probabaly because the owners of Pinoy food corners, and also Chowking, would not gamble their capital for a casserole of this rice porridge when hot food are not in demand. remember, it's summer! they would rather have them for their tapsi and tocilog. again, how much does a kilo of rice cost?

anyway, i did not come home crying. the good heavens still has a room for my wishes. i found one... just a block away from us. ok, what a great walk!

No comments: